missing in action following the showdown with Boko
Haram insurgents in northern Borno State.
Theatre Commander of Operation Lafiya Dole, Major
General Lucky Irabor, disclosed this on Friday to
journalists in Maiduguri, the state capital.
He said that a search party deployed to the area has already
established contact with six soldiers and four members of
the Civilian Joint Task Force (JTF).
Commanding Officer of the Operation is among those still
missing in action, as well as unspecified number of
members of the civilian JTF.
According to the Commander, the soldiers disappeared after
engaging the bandits in what appears to be a reinforcement
mission for their dislodged collaborators in a town called
Boko Haram Ambush
The Army had earlier said that a number of its troops were
missing after they ran into an ambush by the dreaded
terrorists. The Army explained that the attack occurred
while the troops were returning to their defensive locations
after operations to clear remnants of the insurgents at
Gongon and environs.
The operation led to destruction of the terrorists’ makeshift
camps and recovery of various weapons including an anti-
aircraft gun, an armored personnel carrier, and motorcycles
used by the terrorists.
Commanding Officer, 15 Others Soldiers Missing As Boko Haram Ambush Nigerian Troops Unawares