The Police in Anambra on Wednesday confirmed an attack on the Nigerian Television Authority office in Onitsha by unknown gunmen with explosives burning down a building.
Speaking to the News Agency of Nigeria on Wednesday, Chris Nwigwe, the acting manager of the Nigeria Television Authority (NTA), disclosed that some suspected gunmen earlier today, attacked the NTA office in Onitsha, Anambra State, torching some equipment and the Star Times section of the premises in an incident which occurred at about 1:40am.
“Some armed men tried to attack the staff on duty but only succeeded in burning down the Star Times building,” he said, adding that no life was lost in the attack.
A witness said an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) was planted at the security post of the station, while tyres were set around the premises to set the station ablaze.
“There was a gun duel between the armed men and policemen who are manning the office. They managed to burn down the Star Times office while the fire was later put out with the help of people around. This type of incident has never happened,” the source said.
Confirming the incident, Sam Okaula, the state’s commissioner of police who visited the scene with the anti-bomb squad to evacuate the explosive device, said that three suspects had been arrested in connection with the incident, adding that investigation had begun to unravel the reason for the attack.
“Those who take laws into their hands should be ready to face the repercussion,” he said, adding that their quick intervention prevented loss of lives and destruction of more property in the attack.